Comforting, gooey and delicious.
Chocolate Chip Cookies! Cookies recipes are pretty much foolproof and perfect for budding little masterchefs to hone their skills.
Now, not to get too food-nerd on you all but since discovering food ratios a few years back, the science of food has taken on a whole new meaning to me. The are ideal ratios for a tonne of various doughs and pastries etc, and for cookies the ratio we should be looking our for is approx:
magic cookie ratio
1 part sugar
2 parts fat
3 parts flour
+ 1 egg per 250gm of flour
of course you can play around with this ratio to give a shorter or crispier cookie - but it's a great starting point
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 170gm Unsalted Butter, chopped
- 40gm Caster Sugar
- 45gm Brown Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 250gm Self Raising Flour
- 180gm chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon of flaked sea salt
- you could add a couple of teaspoons of baking cocoa to make these babies double choc chip!
1. Preheat your oven to 175 degree Celsius.
2. Cream you sugars, vanilla essence and butter together until whipped nicely.
3. Mix your dry ingredients together (including your cocoa, if using) and then gently fold into your whipped butter mixture. You could gently stir in your choc chips at this stage - or you could use them to spell out a message in the cookies.
4. When it come to shaping, you have a few options.
a. Roll into a log and slice
b. Roll into individuals balls and then flatten out onto your cookie sheet
c. roll out flat and use a fun cookie cutter (this is my preferred method when it comes to baking with children, it's definitely more fun!).
5. Pop onto a baking tray and bake until golden and gooey - about 11 - 14 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the pan for a few minutes prior to transferring over to a wire rack.
And there you have it. Have a wonderful weekend - enjoy. :)